Sunday, February 5, 2012

To See Florida Today - You Now Must Pay

Beginning Monday February 6, you will have to pay - not only to read Florida Today in print - but to read its news website as well.

I don't know about you - but generally I scan the headlines, read the obituaries, and then glance at local opinion. Hmmm...

Florida Today columnist Matt Reed asks in a column today whether their content is worth a bag of Doritos. Since I don't eat Doritos I wouldn't know.

I do know I am not going to pay for the little bit of news I get from it.

A local commenter noted that - in the past - subscription costs paid for distribution and ads paid for everything else. Since there is virtually no distribution cost for an online site, it is curious why Florida Today must charge for their website.

The answer is clear. Advertisers do not see the value - so that revenue stream is dammed up.

Here is a free site that will be expanding as we move along. I hope to have other local contributors. Let me know if you want to participate.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment